I am a post-doc in Aalborg University. My interests are in probability, logic, quantum, and category theory, especially monads. My email address is my last name at cs dot aau dot dk.
Publications, Preprints, etc.
- Scott Continuity in Generalized Probabilistic Theories
In this paper, I construct counterexamples to various generalizations of the use of Scott continuity in W*-algebras to the setting of base-norm and order-unit spaces. In particular, one cannot recover the predual of an order-unit space (if it has one) using Scott continuous states. Accepted for QPL 2019: Slides of talk.
Using these constructions, and some classical counterexamples from functional analysis, I was able to produce several other counterexamples.
- Continuous Dcpos in Quantum Computing
In this paper, I show that if the unit interval of a directed-complete C*-algebra A is a continuous dcpo, then A is a product of finite-dimensional matrix algebras. Combined with previous results due to Selinger, this characterizes the directed-complete C*-algebras with continuous unit interval. I also show that if the unit interval of A has a countable base (as a dcpo) then A is isomorphic to the algebra of bounded functions on a countable set, and is therefore commutative.
- Probabilistic Logics Based on Riesz Spaces with Radu Mardare and Matteo Mio
This is an extended version of earlier results, some joint work, and some by Matteo Mio alone, for Riesz modal logic, a logic, based on Riesz spaces, for reasoning about continuous Markov chains on compact Hausdorff spaces. This logic stands in relation to such Markov chains just as Boolean modal logic does to Stone coalgebras.
- Categorical Equivalences from State-Effect Adjunctions, published in EPTCS 287, pp. 107-126.
In an earlier paper, Bart Jacobs defined a dual adjunction between effect algebras and abstract convex sets. This paper characterizes the subcategories on which this dual adjunction is a contravariant equivalence. I then outline how to get two more adjunctions and dualities using the theory of Smith base-norm and Smith order-unit spaces, like in my PhD thesis. In an appendix I characterize the effect modules/convex effect algebras for which effect algebra morphisms are automatically effect module homomorphisms, and give counterexamples showing that the result is the best possible.
- Boolean-Valued Semantics for Stochastic Lambda-Calculus with Giorgio Bacci, Dexter Kozen, Radu Mardare, Prakash Panangaden and Dana Scott
Accepted for LICS 2018.
- From Kleisli categories to commutative C*-algebras: Probabilistic Gelfand Duality with Bart Jacobs, published in Logical Methods in Computer Science, 2015, Volume 11, Issue 2.
The Radon monad is a kind of Giry monad (though predating Giry's paper) that assigns a compact Hausdorff space to its space of Radon measures. In this paper, we show that the Kleisli category of the Radon monad is equivalent to the category of commutative C*-algebras, under the functor that assigns a compact Hausdorff space X to its C*-algebra of complex-valued functions C(X).
An earlier version was published by Springer in the proceedings LNCS 8089, pages 141-157.
- Towards a Categorical Account of Conditional Probability with Bart Jacobs, originally for QPL 2013, published in EPTCS 195, pp. 179-195.
This paper gives a definition of conditional probability that can be applied in both the Kleisli category of the distribution monad and the category of C*-algebras (with positive unital maps). As an example, we use the Elitzur-Vaidman "bomb tester".
- Unordered Tuples in Quantum Computation with Bas Westerbaan, published in EPTCS 195, pp. 196-207.
This paper is on how to realize certain quotient types (unordered tuples and necklaces) in C*-algebraic quantum theory.